Thursday, April 26, 2018

Points Of Origin


by
Veronica Haunani Fitzhugh
Where the hell did you come from?” he demanded holding my documents with just his fingertips fearing contamination.
From your blind spot.”
From your complacency.”
From your Other.”
I have been here all the time waking, warbling, waiting for you to see all of me.”
I burst forth swaddled in my Daddy’s disappointments and dry humor.”
A small tobacco plantation in Spotsylvania County, Virginia where the Fitz and the Hugh slaves became Fitzhugh slaves.”
My Momma and her Momma and her Momma.”
Africa, Germany, Philippines, Hawaii, New Jersey, Virginia, Florida, then Virginia again.”
The Navy, the Army, the National Guard, the US Federal Government, Walmart, and Kmart.”
Soul gardens where the sweetest fruits are still bitter skinned.”
Mouths of rivers still running muddy and dangerous.”
From the time when I slammed on the brake instead of the gas choosing to no longer kill myself.”
From a November naked dance around a park bonfire, cameras, lovers, strangers, and police.”
From that startling moment when you realize the dream is about to be a nightmare.”
Veronica Haunani Fitzhugh earned her BA in English Literature from the University of Virginia but is more proud of the friendships she earned through her social justice work in Charlottesville, Virginia.  She has been in several anthologies online and in print.  Her main blog is Charlottesville Winter at cvillewinter.wordpress.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment