Monday, April 30, 2018

My Mama Says...

by
Rie Sheridan Rose

My Ma says Pa has gone to war...
He kissed her as he closed the door.
I saw the soldiers marching by,
Marching off to fight and die...
My brother John went off last week
Ma cried so hard, she couldn't speak.
I'm all that's left now here at home,
To tend the fields and till the loam.
My Uncle Ted lives up in Maine
Ma says we won't see him again.
I don't know why we have to fight...
But Ma is crying every night.
And now I have to be the man,
So I'll pretend as best I can
That I ain't scared by blood and guns

And mothers burying their sons.

Rie Sheridan Rose multitasks. Her short stories appear in numerous anthologies, including On Fire, Hides the Dark Tower,  and Killing It Softly Vol. 1 and 2. She has authored ten novels, six poetry chapbooks, and lyrics for dozens of songs. More info on www.riewriter.com. She tweets as @RieSheridanRose.

No comments:

Post a Comment