Thursday, April 26, 2018

His Name Was Javier

by
Veronica Haunani Fitzhugh


It’s not your problem.
You’re not responsible.
It’s not your fault.
You’re not liable.

my son is dead.
Everyone makes their own choices of action.
It is not systemic.
There is no pattern.
my son is dead.
he never told me about the constant messages of hate.
he never told me how alone he must have felt.
he never told me how i could help.
where did my happy little boy go?
where is the man he was supposed to become?
my son is dead.
And, the rest is deafening silence.
Veronica Haunani Fitzhugh earned her BA in English Literature from the University of Virginia but is more proud of the friendships she earned through her social justice work in Charlottesville, Virginia.  She has been in several anthologies online and in print.  Her main blog is Charlottesville Winter at cvillewinter.wordpress.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment